Roasted Baby Carrots with Sambal Butter
Spicy + sweet + salty! Back in 2013, we built an app for the iPad with @kathleenkorb called Seasons Eatings. Included was a recipe for grilled broccolini with sambal butter, a dish we've been making ever since. Besides broccoli and carrots, we like to finish pan-roasted halibut with a nice big dab of sambal butter too.
- 1 bunch baby carrots approximately 1/2 inch or smaller in diameter, greens still attached
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Maldon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sambal
- 1/8 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1. Preheat the oven to 450F.
- 2. Rinse carrot to remove any sand or dirt and dry on a dish towel, patting down the greens to dry as well.
- 3. Lay carrots out on a sheet pan and brush the roots and the greens on both sides with the oil,
- 4. Sprinkle Maldon Sea salt all over, crushing the flakes between your fingertips as you do.
- 5. Slide pan into the oven and roast the carrots for 10 minutes.
- 6. While the carrots are roasting, make the sambal butter. Put the butter in a small dish and cook in the microwave at 10 second intervals until half the butter is liquidy but there are still some solids. Stir in the sambal and fish sauce and adjust the seasoning to your heat + salty preference.
- 7. Once the carrots have roasted for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and carefully arrange on a platter. The greens will be crisp and fragile so use a wide spatula to move the carrots from the pan.
- 8. Dot all over with the sambal butter and serve immediately.
Edible San Francisco. Photo © 2018 Bruce Cole