- 1/2 pound carrots (about 3 cups), julienned on a mandoline or coarsely grated with a box grater
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, mashed with a pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons ras-el-hanout (Moroccan spice blend)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 ounces goat cheese
- 1 baguette or rustic loaf of bread
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the carrots with the next 6 ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper; refrigerate for at least 2 hours to marinate.
Mix the goat cheese in a small bowl to loosen and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Preheat broiler. Slice bread into 1⁄2-inch-thick slices; drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and broil until toasted on one side.
Spread the goat cheese over the toasted bread, top with pickled carrots.
Related Stories & Recipes
While carrots are sometimes regarded as an all-season staple, the petite early harvest varieties of spring have an especially sweet flavor, delicate skin and sublime range of color. The jewel-tone ...