- 6 cups fresh berries, or chopped fresh fruit
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, arrowroot or flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar (more or less, depending on the sweetness of the fruit)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, or other nuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 375°.
Place the fruit, cornstarch, sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl and stir gently to mix. Set aside while preparing topping.
Place the oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, butter and nuts in a medium bowl. Using a pastry cutter or your clean hands, mix the ingredients together until they form coarse crumbs. You will still see small chunks of butter when the mixture is done. Note: Crumble mixture can be covered tightly and frozen for up to 3 months.
Place the fruit mixture in a lightly buttered 8-inch baking dish or 6 individual 1-cup dishes. Top the fruit with the crumb mixture and bake 30–35 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling and topping is lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes before serving.